Monday, August 25, 2008

This is really fun!

I pulled myself out of bed at 5:20am, it was still dark...a sign fall is creeping on in minute by minute. Walking downtown was peaceful, as I finally headed out the door at 6:15am, I did see some of the preparation behind the scenes. Sheriff Department Buses idled quietly behind the state capital building, ready just in case. A few roadways were blocked, but it business as usual until I reached the 16th Street Mall. Then it was clear something big was waking up with the morning sun. If the last few days were about establishing a police presence, today was about the street merchant setting up shop, everywhere there was an open space.

I headed to the Big Tent and arrived on time to the first day excitement and chaos which quickly settled down. I was moved from compost to kitchen, there I "cut the cheese" with Johan from South Africa, who looked much like John Kennedy and now resides in Boulder, Dave who lived in New York, retired and lives in Santa Fe with his wife, who also volunteered and Mary, the Realtor from northwest Denver. We all talked about priorities for the party, what we would do and how much we enjoyed helping out in some small way.

If you have a moment, check out the agenda @ www.bigtentdenver.org. An impressive array of speakers awaits you as you check out the topics, which I found to be forward, exact and quite compelling. After I was switched back to compost detail, I made it up the speakers tent and heard these very eloquent experts:


Van Jones is the founder and president of Green For All
Dave McCurdy , president and CEO of The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers

Panel Discussion on reducing the gasoline usage in America, by actions such as filling vehicles' tires properly, getting engines tuned, replacing air filters and avoiding speeding. EcoDriving is dedicated to help all Americans learn how to take simple steps to increase their mileage and reduce their carbon footprint immediately. Green For All is dedicated to building an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty.

A familiar point was made that many of you might that maybe we should just give the money directly to people who need it. Van Jones spoke of the Vulture Culture, move from burning dead things to using living resources like wind and solar. Not a big fan of let's consider all sources of power, he likened that strategy to going to the doctor seeking treatment and being told you can have all treatments at the same time. He believes that anything that burns carbon has to go soon. Beware of dirty green tactics....those who say their green, but not...New

Celebrity sightings: Rev.Dr. Michael Beckwith, from movie/book: The Secret and Darryl Hannah,who looked great.

New Belgium Beer bought a bunch of the free bikes around town, so drink up! Love that Fat Tire Ale!!

The SWAT guys were flashing peace signs today much less tense. The protesters came in waves down the mall, but not a problem. Although, a friend said folks in her apartment complex had their tires slashed, if you had an SUV you had all four tires slashed.

I find I am drawn to the excitement, lingering downtown as long as I felt I could without totally ignoring the rest of my life. My intention is to spend as much time downtown as I can.

Look forward to hearing Ted Kennedy tonight, hope to see him on Wednesday at the disability forum.

There is so much discussion and information, access to everyone is secure and open. I know a few ladies who attended a forum on Women's issues with Nancy Pelossi, so access to folks is much greater than I expected. Speaking of access, at the Big Tent, I met Gerry, who is visually impaired and has his own business as a coffee roaster, the name of his Boulder based business, The Unseen Bean. Very cool.

Very cool times, still hope to have pictures up later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great learning experience!!!