Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ebb and Flow of Community

Still, I am capable of surprise. Still, I find myself intrigued by how communities form, change and ultimately evolve.

My daughter Mikelle's community changes and evolves we have discovered, growing and strengthening with each incarnation. Mikelle has a physical disability, she uses a wheelchair, a communication device known as Dynavox and lives on her own, with the support of her community, which as I have said evolves and changes in interesting and sometimes unanticipated ways.

Surprising to me is how organic communities are, even when planned and intended. People change in ways not expected, mostly for the good in our case, but not always. People fall in love, lose interest, gain commitment, need adventure, come back and ultimately everyone grows.

Some folks play a central role, like myself, although I see a day when my role will be left of center, on the fringes and other people with move into the middle of my daughter's life.

Right now, we are in a letting go and growing phase. A few people are leaving for short adventures, some moving on entirely and others just entering. It has a magical alchemical element, this community building. And, I love the view from this point in life, where I still can be surprised and intrigued.

No comments: